April is Water Conservation Month!
SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
South Florida is one of the wettest areas of the country that typically gets about 53 inches of rainfall a year. Approximately 90 percent of the water used in homes and businesses comes from groundwater sources called aquifers. The remaining 10 percent comes from surface waters such as lakes, community ponds and rivers. Both surface and groundwater supplies are primarily recharged by rainfall.
Even with our typical abundant annual rainfall, South Florida’s weather can quickly change from deluge to drought. That’s why conserving water year round is an integral part of managing and protecting South Florida’s water supplies today and for our future generations.
By 2025, 6 million new residents are projected to make Florida their home, swelling the population to more than 24 million. More than half of the new residents will settle in South Florida. At the same time, South Florida’s demand for freshwater is projected to increase to 4.3 billion gallons per day – a 22 percent increase over today’s use.
Use this link for an easy way to calculate your water usage: https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/conservation/water-use-calculator
Water Efficiency and Self Conducted Water Audits at Commercial and Institutional Facilities
A Guide for Facility Managers
The Water Conservation Hotel and Motel Program, or Water CHAMPS, is a free towel and linen reuse program that encourages hotel and motel guests to use their towels and linens more than once during their stay.
Tourists flock to Florida to enjoy the sandy beaches, scenic lakes and meandering rivers. Water CHAMP lodging facilities protect Florida's water resources by conserving water and reducing pollutants entering the environment.
You can help keep Florida beautiful and worth visiting for generations to come. With your help, the lodging facility you stay at can save an average of 17 gallons of water per day per occupied room, as well as saving electricity and reducing detergent use.
The main component of being a Water CHAMP property is implementing a towel and linen reuse program. A reuse program provides in-room materials that allow guests to choose to reuse their towels and linens instead of having them changed every day of their stay. Decreasing the amount of laundry helps conserve Florida’s water and also reduces the amount of detergents going into the environment and polluting our water systems.
Water CHAMP has a 96 percent guest approval rating, indicating that guests like environmentally-friendly hotels and believe conserving water is important. According to a recent survey, more than 75 percent of U.S. travelers feel it is important their visits not damage the environment.
You can do your part, too, by staying at a Water CHAMP green hotel during your next stay.